Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Blog # 14: Disabilities

My mother used to manage a facility for children with disabilities before she had my siblings and I. It's where she met one of her most dearest friends. If there is anyone who sees beauty in everything and just radiates kindness to everyone, it's those two women. When I was in high school she started subbing for a bit. Just something part time while the four of us kids were in school. Unfortunately, she was so displeased with the teachers that she had to work with in the special needs classroom. "I couldn't believe the things some of them say about the students, right in front of them or yelling across the room. - It's as if the thought that just because they are disabled they can't comprehend anything or have absolutely no feelings." I think it really disappointed her to work with professionals who worked in this manner.



I have been a visiting artist for Hand in Hand's Inspiration Studio for the past few years.

Here is a link to some of the students that I have worked with: http://www.handinhandqc.org/artists.php

I have learned SO much from those kids. There is never a dull moment. I think an important thing about working with students with disabilities is to know that many things that you plan might not go as expected or follow suite. I think you really have to gear the material towards the individual. It's important to be intuitive of the students' moods and give them the opportunity to lead their creative explorations. I was always so amazed with their artwork. Art is truly a valued outlet for their expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment