Sunday, January 24, 2010

Blog # 2: From Artist to Teacher

My style and the nature of my art has gifted me with much patience and persistence. When ever I explore new outlets of creating or manipulating a material, I want to try dozens of ways to do it. Sometimes I strive to create a whole series out of a new method. I believe you have to make a lot of art in order to evolve. Certain steps will inevitably lead you somewhere you have never explored before and inspire artistic growth. I feel my ability to exercise my patience and persistence with my art will be an attribute that I aim to share with my students. Most of us are capable of doing so many things way beyond what we could ever imagine ourselves doing. I think secondary students especially, thirst for external support from their peers and especially an experienced adult/teacher. Since my secondary school years, I have held interest in many artistic fields such as music, writing, sculpture, photography, and the studio arts (painting, mixed media, etc.). I hope my versatility will aid my ability to teach students who seek to incorporate a multitudes of different interests.

Artists are open to new perspectives and they are continually diversifying to new unknown grounds. They are explorers who crave to share their findings with the world and inspire others to take a second look or question something they never questioned. Students are an audience, they are a future. If an artist has an undying passion for their work and their quest for expression is dynamic, these features can lean themselves towards a successful teacher.

Not having time to make art when I become a teacher is one of my biggest fears. I have met so many people who put their art on hold and then pick it back up as a hobby after they retire. I can't ever imagine myself doing that. Creating art is part of my overall health. I expect to battle between prepping and time to make art during my first few years of teaching, but I must continue making art, especially if I am an art teacher.

Over the course of my experience at the Museum, I have found that making samples of the next project to show my students is a great way to keep me doing something very regularly. It challenges me to work with new materials. I noticed that Veith also mentioned this idea in Chapter 1. I have also found it beneficial to work with the exact same material that you are making your students work with. Some papers will react differently to different mediums and paints have various levels of viscosity. You will also be better prepared to educate you students about the more technical procedures that they need to be aware of. Successful and well-rounded art education incorporates both the technical elements of art as well as creative essences. I think allowing students time to experiment and acquire experience with a material is necessary in order for them to exercise their full potential in the realm of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment