Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Student Teaching Blog #3

When approaching planning and teaching to diverse learners, I think it is important to know your students. I hope to find out how they can function on their highest levels and create their best work. By knowing about the diverse learners in the classroom, I will be more prepared to plan for alterations in the delivery of content, what materials can be used, the structure of the project and time for completion. It's important to find areas that they are successful in and draw upon those areas. I also think it is valuable to continue to strengthen any areas of weakness.

My cooperating teacher has about 4 tall chairs and a rocking chair - we utilize these about every day. Some students have a tough time focusing during demonstrations or instruction, so we let them sit in these special chairs. Sometimes a student needs a break or needs something to help them relax and refocus, the rocking chair is very helpful for this. The chemistry of the room is very important too. I have found that some students need their own space that is more private and away from the group. Sometimes other classmates pose difficulties and distractions to a student. I always try to be aware of students interactions. If a student is struggling with the project I always try to explain it using a different approach and try to provoke ideas from the student to make the project meaningful through their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment