Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Student Teaching Post #2


Fine Arts Night - We showcased about 1800 works of art!


I think my most memorable classes were those that posed the greatest challenges. Doing things that I never realized that I was capable of helped me set higher expectations for myself. Clear guidelines and expectation that were visible in assignment handouts always helped me out. It felt more meaningful to me if I knew that the teacher really thought out what he/she wanted students to learn, how students would learn it, and how students would show what they learned.


I feel so privileged to be at my student teaching location. I walked into quite a crazy time- two weeks before Fine Arts Night. I did my best to jump right in and be as much help as possible. The night went great and students performed solo or in small ensembles in the library. My collaborating teacher is quite the art advocate. She notified the local newspaper of the event and today I read a lovely letter from a parent recollecting the night (sent as a letter to the editor). I think this school is one of the few that actually have a Fine Arts Night event. Having artwork ALL over all the walls really changes the atmosphere of the school. It reminded of an article I read about Reggio Amilia and the importance of the students presence that is visible throughout the school. One of the most important aspect about the event was that students (5th, 4th, and 3rd graders) helped us hang a majority of the show - which we all know is an imperative part of exhibiting artwork.


My cooperating teacher's expectation are very apparent through observation of her instruction. Solid introductions to lessons and connections to the core "big ideas" help facilitate these expectations. After observing for over 2 weeks I feel more comfortable and know some of the habits that are prevalent in certain grades (examples: corner suns, labeling people, thought bubbles, glitter use). My cooperating teacher has no problem halting a project and having students redo work if necessary, in order to get their "personal best".




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a great placement. Thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete