Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blog # 10: Lesson Plan Ideas

I have decided to focus my first lesson plan on 1.h - Indignation

Students will create a work of art that represents something that sparks indignation. They must choose an issue that's physical setting takes place outside of the United States. I want to recommend that they choose an issue that they have found themselves to connect with and feel passionate about even though it is occurring miles away.

Their piece should provoke the viewer to somehow feel connected to this issue even though it is physically occurring outside of the country. It should entice them to relate to the situation as well as illustrate at least 3 details about the issue/situation to help inform the viewer and broaden their perspective on an event that they might have overlooked in the national news section of the newspaper.

Materials: mixed media (collage- newspaper clippings would probably be a great addition too!), colored pencils, watercolors)

I think this is a valuable lesson because high school students are at that blossoming time in their lives where they are becoming more aware of other events and issues throughout the world. Their concepts of the world are developing as they begin to think about the world beyond themselves. I believe it's important for us to get out of our bubbles and be aware of what is going on in other parts of the world. This lesson will encourage some research as well. I also believe that this lesson would be a good source for valuable discussions and a way for students to teach each other new information and voice awareness for issues that might usually get swept under the rug. I want students to bring out the advocates inside themselves and voice issues that are unjust and need to be heard.

I think this is a valuable activity for students, however, I imagine I might run into problems with appropriateness for the schools setting. It's almost a catch-22 because some things that happen in the world aren't beautiful or pretty to look at, they are harsh, disturbing, cruel, and inhumane. I want to allow students freedom to express themselves and their message, but at the same time I might have to sensor some of the images students wish to display.


Artists to show students:
Oswaldo Guyasamin, El grito No. 3



Oswaldo Guyasamin, Las manos de las esperanzas

Picasso, Guernica

Seth Tobocoman. War in the Neighborhood

I am still searching for more contemporary artists as examples.

2 comments:

  1. This is great. I think you will be fine. Just choose broad topics for kids or topics that are local. I love the images and artists you picked
    nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good lesson plan idea! I think it will be essential though, for you to provide an example that YOU created to illustrate all of the elements and topics that you wish to include in the lesson. Having discussions and brainstorming sessions will also be beneficial in this area as some students may be intimidated by the breadth and scope that is both a positive and a negative to an open-ended project.

    ReplyDelete