Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Blog # 12: LGBTQ

Julie Mehretu, Stadia II

Keith Haring, The Last Rainforest, Acrylic on Canvas, 1989

Keith Haring, Mom, Acrylic on Canvas, 1989, 60"x60"

I was first introduced to Keith Haring by my uncle who is gay. I think he really made a tremendous connection with this artist. He has two phenomenal prints hanging in his living room that he bought before Haring died. Keith Haring does tend to have phallic qualities throughout most of his work, but he also has plenty of appropriate work to show students. Exposing students to GLBT artists could be very helpful and comforting to a student who is challenged with their sexual identity with in society.
One of my closest friends during high school was gay. He was usually such a outgoing and personable individual that I don't think that he experienced any anti-gay/discrimination during high school. But it was probably because he never told anyone else about his sexual identity. I remember how melancholy he would get at times when he would express how difficult it was for him and how homosexual males were perceived totally different than homosexual females. He despised how being gay seemed to consumes one's entire identity. He was basically forced to pretend to be straight in front of others. His father especially, who was openly against homosexuality. I couldn't imagine having to live like that- I am sure many kids might experience a similar scenario at home with their family. Most of all I recollect his longing to simply love another human and have a normal relationship with a significant other.
If I was approached by a student who "came out" to me, I think the most important thing to do would be to truly listen to them. Whether or not they had "come out" to their family or friends is something that I would have no control over. It is their choice to decide who and when they feel they need to tell. Their confidence in my ability to keep their thoughts private would be important to me. I think if there was hinting of suicidal thoughts or threats against the student, I know I would be obligated to share this information with the school counselor and/or principal.
I think dealing with rude, inappropriate, and vulgar comments about a student's sexuality is important. It's vital to express that you do not tolerate it and you expect your classroom to be an environment where all students should feel safe.










1 comment:

  1. Hey if I have the right person here you mentioned Picasso's Guernica for your lesson plan? If so, I posted some photos of it that I took this summer in Madrid, check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete