Sunday, February 14, 2010

Blog # 11: A Moment of Discrimination

I have felt discriminated against before or been belittled because I do not belong to an organized religion. My parents encouraged my siblings and I to believe in what we wanted to believe in and they never belonged to any place of worship or took us to services. I remember even when I was a little kid and many of my neighbors would get dressed up to go to church and then they would all go out to brunch with the Sunday crowd afterwards. It had such a social aspect to it. There were churches on practically every corner in Huntsville, Alabama. I do remember uncomfortableness arising between me a my peers and neighbors when the subject was discussed. I know peoples' religious beliefs, no matter what they may be, are a very important and PERSONAL issues. Peoples faith in a variety of religions is inevitable. However, I don't believe it's necessary to push your beliefs on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment